Senior Software Engineer, Data Platform
Anthology offers the largest EdTech ecosystem on a global scale, supporting over 150 million users in 80 countries. Our mission is to provide dynamic, data-informed experiences to the global education community so that learners and educators can achieve their goals.
We believe in the power of a truly diverse and inclusive workforce. As we expand globally, we are committed to making diversity, inclusion, and belonging a foundational part of not only our hiring practices but who we are as a company.
For more information about Anthology and our career opportunities, please visit www.anthology.com.
We are building up a new group within Anthology focused on the data platform. This team’s mission is to bring data together from across Anthology’s extensive product lines into our cloud-based data lake. We are the analytics and data experts at Anthology. Our team enables other development teams to utilize the data lake strategically and effectively for a variety of Anthology products. We deliver products and services for analytics, data science, business intelligence, and reporting.
The successful candidate will have a strong foundation in software design, software development, scaled infrastructure, containerization, enterprise build patterns, pipeline development, and configuration management as well as strong problem-solving skills, analytical thinking skills, and strong written & verbal communication skills
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Learning quickly and developing creative solutions that encompass performance, reliability, maintainability, and security
- Applying hands-on technical design and implementation solutions using the AWS tool suite and other components to support Anthology products that utilize an expansive data lake
- Working with the development manager, product manager, and engineering team on projects related to system research, product design, product development, and defect resolution
- Being willing to respond to the unique challenges of delivering and maintaining cloud-based software. This includes minimizing downtime, troubleshooting live production environments, and responding to client-reported issues
- Working with other engineering personnel to ensure consistency among products
- Through continued iteration on existing development processes, ensuring that we’re leading by example, fixing things that aren’t working, and always improving our expectations of ourselves and others
- Thriving in the face of difficult and complex problems
- Working independently with limited supervision
- Coaching a review work of lower-level professionals
- 7+ years of experience designing and developing enterprise solutions including serverless/functionless API services
- Expert knowledge of the OOP
- Experience with both relational database management systems and document-oriented databases
- Expert data structure algorithm analysis and design skills
- Knowledge of modern security and authorization schemes including SAML, SCIM, OIDC, OAuth, and OAuth2
- Knowledge of distributed systems and tradeoffs in consistency, availability, and network failure tolerance
- Expert knowledge of professional engineering best practices for the full SDLC, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Expert knowledge of a broader set of tools in the AWS tool suite (CDK, CloudFront, CloudWatch, CodeCommit, CodeBuild, CodePipeline, Lambda, API Gateway, SNS, SQS, S3, KMS, Batch, DynamoDB, DMS), Docker, Service meshes, Microservices
- Experience with JFrog Artifactory
- Proficiency in SQL using Snowflake, Oracle, MSSQL, PostgreSQL, or other RDBMS
- Experience with designing, developing, and operating scalable near real-time data pipelines and stream processing
- Experience with designing and implementing ETL processes
- Experience with fact/dimensional modeling (Kimball, Inmon)
- Extra-curricular data projects or open-source contributions that you’ve developed on your own
- Previous experience in the education industry and e-learning technologies
We have an office in one of the biggest cultural, economic, and educational centers in South India: Chennai.
- Located on OMR, the IT corridor of South Chennai
- Easy access to Velachery, Thiruvanmiyur Railway station, and bus stop
- Very close to Tidel Park, Ascendas, and SRP Tools – Holiday Inn
- The office provides lunch Tuesday – Thursday and evening snacks Monday – Friday
- The office is situated behind Hotel Turyaa on the 5th floor of Rayala Techno Park
- Fun Committee, Happy Fete Team, Food Committee, and Sports Committee ensure fun at work
- ISR Team actively engages employees in contributing to various local charities
- Option for remote work during the COVID-19 pandemic
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time.
Blackboard is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, protected military/veteran status, or any other legally protected factor.