Anthology offers the largest EdTech ecosystem on a global scale, supporting over 150 million users in 80 countries. Our mission is to provide dynamic, data-informed experiences to the global education community so that learners and educators can achieve their goals.
We believe in the power of a truly diverse and inclusive workforce. As we expand globally, we are committed to making diversity, inclusion, and belonging a foundational part of not only our hiring practices but who we are as a company.
For more information about Anthology and our career opportunities, please visit www.anthology.com.
At Anthology the role of DevOps Engineer is challenging, rewarding, and full of opportunity. As an integral part of the Cloud Services team, you will work with a variety of cloud infrastructure service offerings including Amazon Web Services and RightScale. In addition, we have several data centers located in the United States and United Kingdom, so you’ll also work with both hardware and virtualization platforms hosting hundreds of servers and systems.
The successful DevOps Engineer at Anthology is a champion of automation. You’ll work closely with development, quality assurance, engineering, and support teams to integrate applications into the various environments and ensure their ongoing support once there. You’ll thrive in a demanding environment of complex, distributed systems, and applications. Your background should consist mostly of development experience with systems administration knowledge or system administration with strong development knowledge.
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Building solutions to problems that impact availability, performance, and stability in our systems, services, and products at scale
- Performing a wide variety of technical and administrative duties in overall systems design, development, and delivery of releases in AWS
- Working in conjunction with IT, engineering, and business groups to understand functionality, scalability, performance, security, and integration requirements
- Developing and maintaining an in-depth understanding of the application, systems, database architecture, and the general application functionality used to maintain data integrity
- Managing the establishment and configuration of SaaS infrastructure in an agile way by storing infrastructure as code and employing automated configuration management tools with a goal to be able to re-provision environments at any point in time
- Developing and implementing instrumentation for monitoring the health and availability of services including fault detection, alerting, triage, and recovery (automated and manual)
- Being accountable for proper backup and disaster recovery procedures
- Developing, improving, and thoroughly documenting operational practices and procedures
- AWS Certifications
- 2-3 years of experience building and maintaining production systems on AWS and familiarity interacting with the vendor APIs. Comfortable working with hardware and Windows virtual machines (VMWare) in a traditional datacenter setting
- Proficient in high level scripting languages like PowerShell, Python, and Bash
- Deep experience administering both Linux and Microsoft Windows Server
- Experience with Microsoft Azure DevOps, Jenkins, and Git
- Thorough understanding of configuration management concepts
- Experience with monitoring, metrics, logging and visualization tools for network, server, and application status
- Experience with continuous integration, testing, and deployment
- Experience with MySQL databases
- Familiarity with agile development processes and experienced working with development teams throughout the software development lifecycle
- Experience with Cloud Technologies/Virtualization: AWS, Rightscale, Docker, Packer, Terraform, Ansible
- Experience with Operating Systems: Linux, Microsoft Windows Server
- Experience with Development Frameworks: Java Zoho
- Experience with Scripting: Bash, Python, PowerShell
- Experience with Monitoring/Logging Applications: LogicMonitor, Splunk, NewRelic
- Experience with Message Queuing Applications: RabbitMQ
- Experience with CI/CD/CF: Jenkins, Packer, Ansible
- Experience with Microsoft DevOps (formerly Team Foundation Server)
- Experience with Database Systems: MySQL
- Experience with Containers: Docker
- Experience with Programming Languages: SQL, Java
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Highly self-motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Proven analytical, evaluative, and problem-solving abilities.
- Exceptional customer service orientation.
- Ability to motivate and inspire team members
- Adaptable to changing environment
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Linux Certifications
- Microsoft Certifications
- Experience with NoSQL databases and cache/message brokers
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time.
Anthology is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, protected military/veteran status, or any other legally protected factor.