Lead Technical Writer
Remote – US
Anthology offers the largest EdTech ecosystem on a global scale, supporting over 150 million users in 80 countries. Our mission is to provide dynamic, data-informed experiences to the global education community so that learners and educators can achieve their goals.
We believe in the power of a truly diverse and inclusive workforce. As we expand globally, we are committed to making diversity, inclusion, and belonging a foundational part of not only our hiring practices but who we are as a company.
For more information about Anthology and our career opportunities, please visit www.anthology.com.
Anthology is looking for a motivated, highly skilled, quality-minded, and detail-oriented individual to join our team. As Lead Technical Writer you will lead a team that develops and curates help content for end users. You will work alongside other writing and design colleagues to deliver a cohesive user experience for Anthology’s portfolio of products. This is a full-time position with a competitive salary based on your experience and portfolio.
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Leading and mentoring a small team of technical writers
- Researching, outlining, writing, and editing new and existing content for the Blackboard + Anthology help site
- Writing for a variety of audiences, from non-technical end users to developers, system administrators, and integrators
- Independently gathering information from subject matter experts to develop, organize, and write help content
- Obtaining a deep understanding of products and services to translate complex product information into simple, polished, and engaging content
- Collaborating with design, product management, and developers to ensure that help content supports a clear and useful user experience
- Integrating use case and functional data into user documentation and examples
- Coordinating and prioritize the organization and publication of content on Blackboard Help with software releases and user needs
- Assisting in planning, scheduling, and tracking documentation work to meet product release dates
- Monitoring metrics on the help site as well as directing customer feedback to prioritize investments
- Gathering user feedback on documentation to improve usability
- Adhering to quality presentation standards and visual and architectural consistency
- Researching, creating, and maintaining information architecture templates and standards that uphold organizational and legal standards
- Evaluating current content and developing innovative approaches for improvement
- Establishing team policies and procedures, conforming to existing styles, policies, and procedures
- Overseeing peer editing and production review work
- Preparing English content for localization for global audiences
- Assisting in website maintenance and organization
- Assisting with user research to evaluate the quality of the end user experience
- Mentoring junior staff members to elevate the overall quality of team content
- Representing Anthology at client events in person and virtually, as needed
Please provide samples of your work with your application.
The ideal candidate will be a leader with a strong background in content creation, and demonstrated experience developing innovative content for multiple audiences. Candidates should have demonstrated the ability to put themselves in the position of their users and create concise content to support anticipated needs, preferences, and learning styles.
- University degree or equivalent experience
- At least 7 years of technical writing experience
- At least 3 years of prior relevant experience
- Strong written and oral communication skills and experience working with content in multiple mediums
- Experience working cross-departmentally to communicate the nuts and bolts of a product
- Strong experience owning an end-to-end documentation creation process
- Excellent attention to detail and the ability to prioritize and work on multiple projects in a fast-paced, changing environment
- A positive attitude; willing to jump in and tackle new challenges
- Previous experience in the education industry or with e-learning technologies
- Experience creating content in Drupal-based or Salesforce web systems
- Experience with agile development methodologies
- Experience working with product development teams
- Experience with taxonomies
- Information Architecture experience
- Experience with website analytics
- Attention to detail with a creative eye
- Ability to address feedback efficiently and thoroughly on published content from both customers and internal support representatives
- Passionate about learning and developing
- Enjoys working as part of a team in a collaborative environment
- Exposure to tech comm programs
- SaaS experience
- Experience working with the following tools: Confluence/JIRA, Git & GitHub, HTML, CSS
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time.
Anthology is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, protected military/veteran status, or any other legally protected factor.
This position is not available for candidates residing in the following locations: CO, CA, WA, NYC