Principal Technical Consultant
Remote – United Kingdom
Anthology offers the largest EdTech ecosystem on a global scale, supporting over 150 million users in 80 countries. Our mission is to provide dynamic, data-informed experiences to the global education community so that learners and educators can achieve their goals.
We believe in the power of a truly diverse and inclusive workforce. As we expand globally, we are committed to making diversity, inclusion, and belonging a foundational part of not only our hiring practices but who we are as a company.
For more information about Anthology and our career opportunities, please visit www.anthology.com.
As Principal Technical Consultant on the Analytics Delivery team, you will support technical implementation of Anthology’s Blackboard Data and Blackboard Analytics Modules, Business Intelligence Suite for Higher Education. This position will have significant responsibilities associated with SQL query development as well as initial installation, configuration, customizations, and upgrades of client’s Analytics environments.
A successful candidate will have strong experience in technology services, will possess strong communication skills with the ability to be flexible in both language and culture to operate collaboratively in a variety of contexts in global regions and across educational platforms.
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Performing verification of remote access to client environments
- Performing system validation to ensure client environments meet Analytics published standards
- Under supervision, performing initial software installations, data migrations, and ETL-based data loads from target systems
- Upgrading client system to include modifying and migrating client-initiated and Anthology-authored customizations
- Creating stored procedures and views to adjust the ETL processes to meet individual client requirements
- Working with the functional lead/project manager and clients to analyze functional specifications to determine the appropriate design to meet client requirements related to the configuration and use of Analytics modules using Microsoft Business Intelligence Stack
- Developing reports using the Microsoft BI Stack/reporting tools used by Analytics, including OLAP, relational reporting and Dashboards
- Collaborating with and guide clients in identifying and formulating specifications for use cases and reports
- Developing queries and reports withing the Anthology Data environment (running on Snowflake), as well as within Anthology Direct Data Access (running on PostgreSQL)
- Creating or editing technical documentation in support of new and established products
- Participating in testing and quality assurance related to products, as required
- Participating in design and development of pre-built reports and dashboards included with the core product
- Working collaboratively with Product Development to support product development activities, as required
- Working cooperatively with the Global Consulting Team to ensure successful completion of implementation and other consulting projects
- Working with cross-functional teams (Project Managers, Program Managers, Sales and Client Success teams) to scope client requirements, objectives required to deliver the data warehousing and reporting projects
- Being able to act as the Lead Planner, Architect for the development and delivery of the Analytics projects with both internal groups and external clients
- At least 8 years of relevant experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Professionally mature, flexible, and adaptive. Must respond well to changes in priority and fast breaking assignments
- Technical Skills
- Knowledge of basic networking
- Experience with Microsoft SQL Server, Snowflake, PostgreSQL, Oracle, or other enterprise level RDBMS
- Excellent SQL query-writing skills
- Experience with one or more reporting tools and dashboard development tools
- Examples: MS Access, Excel Pivot Tables, Microsoft SharePoint/Performance Point, Microsoft Reporting Services, Cognos
- Ability to develop/program from functional designs and communicate with functional users
- Ability to work independently, high attention to detail, and focused on the timely completion of deliverables assigned
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills including the ability to understand new information domains
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Compelling and accurate writing ability and experience documenting software requirements
- Collaborative and self-starter. Proven ability to work cross functionally, individually with periodic supervision, and informally to achieve overall engagements objectives
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Master's degree or equivalent
- Experience at technology company and/or in education
- Experience to Microsoft Analysis Services
- Experience to Microsoft Reporting Services
- Familiarity with Dimensional modeling methodology for data warehousing
- Experience with Snowflake
- Experience with PostgreSQL
- Experience with Blackboard Learn and familiarity with its underlying database
- Strong communication skills and experience presenting to large groups
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time.
Anthology is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, protected military/veteran status, or any other legally protected factor.