Tier 3 Support Engineer
Remote - US
Anthology offers the largest EdTech ecosystem on a global scale, supporting over 150 million users in 80 countries. The company’s mission is to provide dynamic, data-informed experiences to the global education community so that learners and educators can achieve their goals.
We believe in the power of a truly diverse and inclusive workforce. As we expand globally, we are committed to making diversity, inclusion, and belonging a foundational part of not only our hiring practices but who we are as a company.
For more information about Anthology and our career opportunities, please visit www.anthology.com.
This role focuses on Learn, a product in which we pride ourselves on creating well-designed web and mobile solutions to support learners, instructors, and administrators. Learn allows learners and instructors to access online educational experiences wherever and whenever they want through web and mobile devices. Our technology helps instructors breathe life into educational content, brings efficiency to day-to-day tasks, and empowers instructors with tools to engage and assess every learner. We help motivate learners by promoting collaboration, communication, and connections with their peers and instructors.
Our Client Support team has a proven track record of delivering high quality technical support to our customer base. As Tier 3 Support Engineer, you will primarily interface with our Tier 2 Support and Service Delivery teams.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Providing multi-level database troubleshooting and technical support to Tier 2 Client Support staff
- Working closely with Tier 2 Client Support staff as well as acting as interface between Tier 2 and Product Development/Engineering/third-party vendors
- Working closely with Product Development and Implementation teams to resolve client issues
- Performing fault reproduction and troubleshooting, system characterization and analysis, root cause analysis of product issues, and bug tracking and resolution
- Addressing software defects and advanced customer issues with timely resolutions
- Working with QA, Development, and Operations teams on understanding issues and steps needed to resolve the issues
- Suggesting enhancements to the existing algorithms and services
- Coding web-based Java applications running on Windows, Linux, and Solaris environments, focused on support activities
- Using the latest tools and techniques (e.g. J2EE, C#, XML, Web Services, EAI toolkit)
- Developing and automating Java Unit tests using JUnit and JUnitPerf
- Addressing software defects with timely resolution
- Working with other developers to set standards and define best practices for coding and design
- Effectively communicating and collaborating with different team members to help inform one another about how to create features without jeopardizing other application or product areas
- At least 2 years of experience in software development
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work well in teams
- Exceptional listening, written, and oral communication skills
- Proficiency in Software Engineering Principles, Database Design, Web application development (preferably in Java/J2EE WebLogic, Struts, Tomcat)
- Proficiency with multiple computer operating systems (Unix/Linux and Windows)
- An understanding of Database structures and database administration principles
- Ability to work with both technical and non-technical individuals in gathering information and communicating direction
- Direct technical customer support experience in a 24x7 support environment
- 2-5 years of experience in software development
- Bachelor’s or Master’s in Computer Science or Software Engineering
- Knowledge of Unix Shell scripting
- Familiarity with databases in a Java application environment
- Knowledge of Oracle, PostgreSQL, and MS SQL Database environments
- Knowledge of database maintenance and analysis utilizing Oracle Admin Tools
- Knowledge of clustered environments and Load balancer configuration
- Experience with deep-dive analysis of enterprise products running on AWS utilizing Application Performance Monitoring tools such as New Relic or VisualVM
- Experience troubleshooting installations and upgrades of Oracle and MS SQL Databases
- Experience working with a global team
- Experience in the education industry and with e-learning technologies
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time.
Blackboard is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, protected military/veteran status, or any other legally protected factor.
This position is not available for candidates residing in the following states: CO, CA, MA