Senior Software Engineer
Anthology offers the largest EdTech ecosystem on a global scale, supporting over 150 million users in 80 countries. The company’s mission is to provide dynamic, data-informed experiences to the global education community so that learners and educators can achieve their goals.
We believe in the power of a truly diverse and inclusive workforce. As we expand globally, we are committed to making diversity, inclusion, and belonging a foundational part of not only our hiring practices but who we are as a company.
For more information about Anthology and our career opportunities, please visit www.anthology.com.
This role focuses on our Blackboard Community Engagement platform. You’ll help provide K-12 schools with reliably hosted and low-maintenance content management systems. This product allows parents access to a dashboard full of personalized student data and engages community members with news and upcoming events on a modern, mobile-friendly website. You’ll continually enhance and support the ability for each school to maintain its own online presence.
As Senior Software Engineer, you will join the team responsible for developing industry-leading SaaS products and web service platforms.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Participating in hands-on technical design, coding, and implementation of product features
- Collaborating technically with Architects and Product Designers, contributing to the overall architectural vision of cloud service infrastructure in support of Blackboard’s notification/CRM products
- Enhancing and supporting existing cloud-based products; designing and implementing new features; assessing and paying down technical debt
- Communicating progress and escalating issues to management in a timely manner
- Acting as an engineer in the development team responsible for developing and testing features or fixing bugs on our industry-leading Community Engagement platform
- Developing broad and deep knowledge on existing software architecture
- Assisting with mentoring junior team members
- Collaborating in a cross-functional agile team to solve challenging technical problems with innovative solutions.
- Following best practices and methodologies to product desired software on-time and with top-notch quality
- Documenting development and operational procedures
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field
- At least 5 years of experience with web application development
- Strong object-oriented design skills and proven experience as a Python developer
- Demonstrated ability to incorporate beneficial software design patterns and identify performance anti-patterns
- Hands-on experience with Django framework, SQL/NoSQL, and design/architectural patterns (like MVC)
- Familiarity with architecture styles/APIs (REST, RPC) and their best practices
- Experience participating in agile and fast-paced software development methodologies like XP or Scrum
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Understanding of SaaS products and cloud technologies/architecture
- 5-7 years of experience with web application development
- Exceptional writing clean, scalable code using Python programming languages
- Knowledge of testing and deploying applications
- Exposure to any of the cloud technologies (AWS, Azure)
- Experience improving existing software; knowledge in refactoring and debugging code
- Experience in front end frameworks such as Angular or ReactJS
- Knowledge of Microservices architecture
- Quick learner and willingness to learn new technologies
We have an office in one of the biggest cultural, economic, and educational centers in South India: Chennai.
- Located on OMR, the IT corridor of South Chennai
- Easy access to Velachery, Thiruvanmiyur Railway station and bus stop
- Very close to Tidel Park, Ascendas, and SRP Tools – Holiday Inn
- Office provides lunch Tuesday – Thursday and evening snacks Monday – Friday
- Office is situated behind Hotel Turyaa on the 5th floor of Rayala Techno Park
- Fun Committee, Happy Fete Team, Food Committee, and Sports Committee ensures fun at work
- ISR Team actively engages employees in contributing to various local charities
- Option for remote work during the COVID-19 pandemic
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time.
Blackboard is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, protected military/veteran status, or any other legally protected factor.